S7 SOCCER ACADEMY made light work of Granby Marketing beating them 6-0 in a very one sided second round match. In all honesty it could have and probably should have been double figures but for some outstanding goalkeeping and wasteful finishing.

The first chance of the game fell to Jordan Macquarrie. After some good build up play involving McKenna and Stubberfield, Hamlin found himself in space on the left, he squared the ball to Macquarrie but he saw he shot well saved by the keeper.

Moments later Stubberfield also had a chance to open the scoring, Hamlin took an early long throw into the area which bounced over the last defender to Stubberfield arriving at the back post but he saw his side footed effort bounce back off the upright.

Then Hamlin almost scored with a diving header, Stubberfield teased the full back before delivering a deep cross but it was slightly too deep and Hamlin could only head wide at full stretch.

The first goal finally came in the 20th minute when Jordan Macquarrie beat the full back and got to the byline, he pulled the ball back to the edge of the 6 yard box where Mo Nabeel arrived late and cleverly flicked the ball in at the near post.

The second was a carbon copy of the first, again Macquarrie out paced and out witted the full back to pull back for Nabeel who this time side footed the ball in to make it 2.

S7 had chances to kill the game off before half, Stubberfield wasted a golden opportunity when Hamlin Played him in but a heavy first touch allowed the keeper to smother with his feet.
Hamlin also should of scored, another deep cross from Stubberfield was met with a header but the keeper somehow clawed the ball away at his neat post, maybe going back across the keeper would of been a better option.

David Hickey also brought the best of the keeper. He hit a wicked dipping volley from the edge of the area which looked like it was heading for top corner but the goalkeeper made an outstanding save to keep the score to 2 and that's the way it stayed until half time.

Jake Errey and Kyle Jackson won every header in the first half with McKenna, Hickey and Nabeel working in tangent just in front to pick up all of the second balls, the front 3 of Hamlin, Macquarrie & Stubberfield looked dangerous throughout, with Macquarrie in particular causing all kinds of problems with his pace.

Nathan Sargeson had a solid game at full back and played some good balls forward, he was rarely troubled defensively.

The only real threat Granby had was a tricky left winger who caused problems for Ellis Gallaher at right back but when he got into good positions his final ball and finishing was poor.

The second half continued in the same vain with S7 dominating possession and creating chances. The next chance fell to Hamlin. Again Macquarrie got in behind the full back, he pulled the ball back to edge of the box, Hamlin did everything right, his first touch taking the defender out on the game but his finish lacked composure, dragging his shot wide, he will be disappointed not to of hit the target.

The third goal came from the penalty spot. Macquarrie was up ended with a sloppy challenge and Stubberfield stepped up to arrow his spot kick firmly into the bottom corner, leaving the keeper no chance.

Nabeel who was struggling with a calf strain was replaced by Chris baker in the second half. Baker did well when he came on working hard and winning the ball back in midfield on several occasions.

3 soon became 4 and it was Macquarrie who was involved again, he passed the ball inside to centre half Jake Errey who found himself in uncharted territory, Errey turned his man and clinically smashed the ball in at the near post.

David Hickey got the fifth, a good passing move that ended up with a one two between Hamlin & Hickey on the half way line, Hickey opened his legs and ran forward unchallenged and finished expertly at the keepers near post.

Stubberfield completed the rout with the goal of the game which involved all 3 forward players. Macquarrie crossed deep to Hamlin who cut the ball back to Stubberfield with a first time pass and Stubberfield swept the ball into the roof of the net with a scissor style finish.

S7 will expect a much tougher game next week when they face Great Harwood Windows, who also won tonight beating 3 times winners Red Rose Dry Lining by 4 goals to 1.

Line up: Moragn, Gallaher, Errey, Jackson, Sargeson, Hickey, Nabeel, McKenna, Macqarrie, Hamlin, Stubberfield.

Subs: Baker


Back To News & Videos

Border Top

Were Tweeting

Join Our Mailing List

Please enter the code below
(Not case sensitive)


Border Bottom
Follow Me On Twitter
Share & Enjoy
  • Digg
  • In
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • Facebook