S7 SOCCER ACADEMY 7 - 3 British Telecom

S7 SOCCER ACADEMY are through to their second successive Orphanage Cup Final after beating British Telecom 7-3 in the semi Final. They will face Blackburn with Darwen Council in the Ewood Park Final, who also won their semi final comfortably 5-1 against East Lancashire Hospital Trust.

Goals from Hamlin (3), Macquarrie (2), Stubberfield (Pen) & Mo Nabeel were enough to see off a hard working BT side. .

BT stunned S7 early on when they took the lead from a set piece. A needless free kick was conceded on the right which was well delivered into the box, the initial cross wasn't dealt with and the rebound was lashed into the net by BT's big centre half.

The lead didn't last long as S7 scored from a set piece of their own. A good Stubberfield delivery was met by a powerful Hamlin header to level the scores.

Moments later and S7 were in front and it was Hamlin again who grabbed the goal. The ball fell to Stubberfield in the area who was upended, but the referee played advantage as the ball fell to Hamlin's feet, he turned well and arrowed his shot into the corner.

BT were lucky not to be reduced to 10 men when a shocking high challenge on Chris Baker left stud marks down the midfielders thigh.

The third goal came just before half time, Jake Errey played a direct ball into Hamlin, he flicked the ball on to Macquarrie who found himself 1 on 1 with keeper, he rounded the advancing keeper only to see his effort blocked on the line by a great recovering run from the right back, fortunately for Macquarrie the ball fell back to his feet and he made no mistake second time around, finding the back of the BT net.

S7 found themselves scoring the 4th virtually from the kick off in the second half. The ball was played back to Sargeson who played a marvellous diagonal pass out to Macquarrie on the far right, his first touch was exquisite and took him into the penalty area, just as he looked to cross the ball he was brought down giving the referee no other option but to point to the spot. Stubberfield stepped up to take the penalty and after a little shimmy firmly side footed his kick to the keepers left, the keeper did get a hand to it but it wasn't enough to keep the ball out.

Hamlin them completed his hatrick from another set piece, it was again a Stubberfield delivery, this time Hamlin rose highest to glance his near post header into the far corner.

S7 brought off the hard working Baker in the second half, bringing Ellis Gallaher on at right back and pushing David Hickey on into a more advanced midfield role. Hickey then found himself in hot water with the referee, after a loose touch, he flew into a tackle a little too aggressively and clattered the BT number 6, the BT man reacted angrily but the referee calmed the situation down before brandishing Hickey a yellow card.

Macquarie made it 6 with a clever lobbed finish after Hamlin played him in, and Mo Nabeel got the 7th after good inter change between himself and Macquarrie.

BT got a couple of late consolation goals that S7 will be disappointed with, firstly after being awarded a dubious penalty that was well converted and then after slack defending let in the centre forward who squeezed his shot past Jordan Watson in goal.

Although it wasn't S7's most convincing performance it was enough to see them through to the final which will be played next Friday at Ewood Park, the home of Blackburn Rovers.

Line up: Watson, Hickey, Errey, Jackson, Sargeson, Baker, Nabeel, McKenna, Stubberfield, Hamlin, Macquarrie.

Subs: Gallaher


Back To News & Videos

Border Top

Were Tweeting

Join Our Mailing List

Please enter the code below
(Not case sensitive)


Border Bottom
Follow Me On Twitter
Share & Enjoy
  • Digg
  • In
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • Facebook